Why Liquid Roofing
There are several benefits of using liquid roofing systems. This waterproofing system offers extremely cost-effective way of making new, as well as existing roofs waterproof. When liquid systems are applied or installed correctly and subjected to proper maintenance, they offer long term life that is usually around 25 years. Liquid roofing is perfect for balconies, car parks, walkways, and roof applications. Some of the advantages of installing a liquid roof include; availability of an elastomeric system, a wide range of specifications, long life, compatible with multiple surfaces , speed and ease of installation, cold applied systems, seamless, provides wide range of finishing like solar or reflective, technologically advanced, guaranteed and proven performance, cost-effective, minimum disruption, and fully bonded among several others.
What Is Liquid Roofing
Liquid roofing system is a cold applied system that is perfect for warm as well as cold roof designs curing into waterproof flexible coatings that are designed for adjusting to seams, joints, fixings, and welds. Liquid roofing can be applied to wide range of materials such as metal, asbestos, felt, concrete, and many more. This system offers a long-lasting protective solution for all kinds of pitched and flat roofs including balcony systems and skid inhibiting walkways. Liquid roofing consists either of artificial polyester, natural bitumen, or polyurethane. These are used typically as a remedial covering for pitched or existing flat roofs. The biggest advantage with these roofs is that they can be utilised for new roofs as well. This system has the ability to withstand even heavy traffic and are therefore perfect for walkways and balcony surfaces. Their service life is expected somewhere between 5 years and 30 years based on weather conditions and maintenance. In this system, layers of waterproofing liquid called primer, a protective top layer, and reinforcing fibre layers are applied. It may comprise of single or multiple coats. Liquid roofing systems are based predominantly on 3 materials namely polyurethane, polyester, and bitumen as already explained above. There are some other liquids that can be used for waterproofing system and these include formulations based on acrylics, silicones, and rubber.
- Modified Bitumen – This is modified by different substances such as styrene or natural rubber for making it more resistant to fatigue caused by movement failure. Just 2 or more emulsion layers or bitumen solution layers are applied for a thickness of three-six mm. This type of liquid roof will live somewhere between ten and twenty years.
- Polyurethane-based Systems – These systems are more tolerant to moist laying conditions. Their thickness is 0.6-2 mm, and their lifespan is at most 25 years.
- Polyester-based Systems – these fibre systems are glass-reinforced. To plywood or similar substrates, more resilient types will be applied. To existing substrates, flexible types will be applied. The system is two to three mm thick and its lifespan is around 30 years.
Different roofs can have different liquid roofing solutions. We provide various solutions for liquid roofing and recommend the right solution after consulting and analysing the type of roof present.
Features & Benefits
Some of the many features and benefits of liquid roofing system are given below:
- With accelerated waterproof coating, your roof will get high productivity, less work disruption due to bad weather, and a fast cure.
- It is proven for use for several years in all sorts of environments like chemical, industrial, and marine.
- When applied cold, this system brings reduction in insurance cost of the building.
- This system is seamless across entire an surface where it is applied.
- There isn’t any need for power washing prior to installation that can exacerbate any existing leaks.
- Brushed simply or rolled into place, this system offers quick coverage around extremely complex roof features and details.
- Finished surface would be extremely durable in addition to being resistant to building movement stress, foot traffic, and thermal fluctuation.
- It is vapour permeable system that eliminates risk of surface blistering due to vapour pressure.
- Structurally sound roofs that have failed waterproofing can be covered without requiring stripping existing waterproofing hence saves time as well as disposable costs.
Types of Roofing And Ideal Usage
Bitumen Solutions and emulsions polymer modified – Here bitumen is modified using co-polymers or polymers for enhancing elasticity, flexibility, and durability to dried coating.
Glass reinforced unsaturated resilient polyester resins – This system is called fibreglass, glass fibre, or GRP and includes cold applied reinforced polyester resin.
Unsaturated flexible polyester resins – This system includes polyester unsaturated resin that is reinforced with polyester fleece. It is hand-rolled or sprayed.
Others – Others include polymer modified bitumen hot applied, polyurethanes, Bitumen solutions and emulsions, water dispersible polymers, Methacrylates, solvent based acrylic roof coating system, and solvent based thermoplastic block copolymers.
Outline Of Installation Procedure
The installation procedure of liquid roofs can be really complex and we recommend consulting a professional to ensure utmost quality. The procedure is explained as follows:
- Surface should be dry, structurally sound, and clean.
- Remove wax or oil completely using solvent.
- Repair torn rubber using adhesive Butyl Tape. Twenty mm thickness of the film would be obtained when forty to forty-two square feet/gallon on average substrate is used.
- Now mix rubber material and other ingredients in a container. Pour all catalyst slowly into vortex.
- Mix in circular motion for two to three minutes till entire portion has been mixed uniformly.
- For applying you need squeegee, roller, or brush. Single application of the mixture is preferred when compared to multiple coats at one time.
- Slow brush strokes must be applied around edges and flashings. You can apply touch-ups post initial film.
- Liquid roofing mixture can be applied during any time and under any range of temperature but make sure it has been applied evenly. You may be required to apply a 2nd or 3rd coating if necessary.
Cost And Guarantee
Liquid roofing is a cost-effective way of making existing or new roofs waterproof. Generally it can deliver results for a maximum of 25 years (only when it is maintained properly). The estimated cost of liquid roofing system is 60% to 70% less as compared to roof replacement or repair. Liquid roofing delivers the best performance when maintained regularly. Costs are based on the type of waterproof roofing you are installing as well as the quality of the material used .
Contact us now for a custom tailored liquid roofing solution for your needs.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.